The floor covering made of wood pleases the owners exactly until the moment when problems appear such as creaking, failure, decay and so on. In either of these cases, a complete sex substitution is required . But if your problem is in the unevenness, then you will learn how to level the wooden floor without tearing the boards off and get an excellent result at the end!
Why is the coating alignment required?
Alignment is made in order to prepare the floor for the finish coat and solve the following problems:
- To strengthen the base.
- Make the surface even and horizontal.
- Distribute loads acting on the floor.
- Provide sound insulation, thermal insulation and waterproofing.
- Disguise communication systems.
- Create a foundation for fixing the final cover.
If based on functional tasks, any actions for leveling the floor must meet certain requirements:
- Provide maximum mechanical strength along the perimeter.
- Possess resistance to any kind of operation.
Selection of materials and methods
How to level the wooden floor without tearing the boards, and what is meant by the irregularities?
- Elevations in different parts of the room.
- Chipped paint.
- Deformation of all or some of the boards.
If the boards are closely pinned to each other, they do not creak, the logs and floorboards are in a dry state, they have been treated with an antiseptic solution, you can begin leveling.
Do not know how to level the wooden floor without tearing the old boards? There are various technologies for performing works:
- Laying of sheet material.
It is impossible to eliminate unevenness of the flooring, using roll (linoleum, laminate, PVC boards, carpet) or tile material.
In order to correctly determine how to level the wooden floor, without tearing the boards, you need to establish the degree of unevenness. Minor flaws (up to 3 mm) can be eliminated by grinding machine, or using acrylic putty. Elastic putty is able to withstand the temporary uneven loads that occur when walking. Using this method, you can prepare the floor for laying the final cover. In other cases, a sheet covering is required.
For foundation under flooring, it is best to use waterproof plywood, also more economical options - particleboard and OSB.
When choosing a sheet material, you should pay special attention to its thickness, it is from 8 to 24 mm. The greater the thickness, the higher the stiffness and the greater the gap between the lags. Mounting thick sheets is much more difficult, in addition, the load on the base increases. The maximum thickness can be used exclusively on the bases of reinforced concrete slabs, in other cases it is necessary to select thinner sheets.
So, in the end we get:
- If the defect is up to 1 mm, a cycle is used.
- 2-3 mm - putty;
- The difference is up to 10 cm - the laying of sheet cloth on the logs.
The device for cycling is allowed to be used strictly for horizontally arranged boards. Purchasing equipment is not necessary, for a single use, as a rule, it is leased.
How to level the wooden floor, without tearing the boards, under the linoleum? Stages of work:
- Provide personal protection (respirator, ear plugs and stuff).
- Removal of machinery and furniture from the premises.
- Isolation of other rooms (during work, very fine dust forms, which easily seeps into the smallest cracks).
- Elimination of nails. With the aid of a bump stop, it is necessary to drive all the nail heads below the field level by 2 mm.
- Work of the grinding machine. The movement starts from the remote corner of the room to the opposite, then turn around 180 degrees and move in the opposite direction. Continue with the same scheme.
- Clean the surface of the formed dust, and fill the large cracks with putty in the color of wood.
- After complete drying, repeat the cycle.
- Flat floor to cover with varnish and to lay the final covering (linoleum, laminate and other).
Filler of wood floor
In this case, the acrylic sealant or the final acrylic putty is used. At a height difference of 3 mm, it is recommended to straighten the floor with a putty on the PVA glue. This is done to ensure that the composition does not crack even in the case of the bending of the floor. Despite the fact that the acrylic composition has a good plasticity, with a layer of 3 mm it can be broken. Align the putty with only small areas of the floor. After the composition dries, the finish coat is laid.
Important! This method of leveling is suitable only for linoleum and carpet. Tiles and laminate in this way can not be stacked.
How to level the wooden floor, without tearing the boards, under the laminate? Leveling the floor from wood with plywood sheets is the most common options. Stacking is possible in many ways:
- Fastening to the base.
- Application of tape lags.
- Use lags from the bar.
The method of placement is chosen depending on the degree of unevenness of the flooring:
- The height difference does not exceed 6 mm per 1 sq. Km. M - it is possible to do without lags.
- No more than 10 mm - ribbon logs, plywood sheet should be divided into 60 * 60 pieces.
Floor leveling with fastening to the base
How to level the wooden floor, without tearing the boards, plywood? With a small difference in height, the plywood sheets are fixed to the base with self-tapping screws.
- Alignment is done at the maximum height, and in areas with a lowering of the level, pads are placed under the sheets. In this case, it is better to use a building material with a thickness of 8-10 mm, and, if necessary, it is possible to lay out in two layers.
- Laying is performed in rows, and each successive row is shifted with respect to the preceding row by not less than ¼ of the width of the plywood sheet.
- The starting row should be located at a distance of 8 mm from the wall (for this purpose a suitable width is fixed).
- Between the sheets, a gap of 3 mm should be made.
- Hats of self-tapping screws should be "drowned" in plywood.
To exclude the possibility of a defect in the building material, holes must be drilled at the fastening points of the screws.
Fastening on tape lags. How to level the wooden floor without tearing the boards in the old house
With an average degree of flaws, the plywood material is strengthened on tape lags. Lags are strips made of plywood, the width of the part is 22-30 cm, the thickness is 9-11 mm. They are fixed to the base, at a distance of 60 cm between the centers. Stacking takes place in parallel. Leveling lags is carried out according to the level, with a substrate of a film heat insulator of the required thickness. Plywood sheets fit the same scheme as in the first case.
Fastening on log logs
With a large difference in altitude along the perimeter of the floor, the plywood sheets are laid on logs made of bars, measuring 50 * 50. There is a process of leveling by screwing the screws into the base to the required depth:
- Beacon-screws are arranged in the form of quadrangles with sides about 30 cm.
- The beam of wood is fixed to the base by screws in parallel to each other at a distance of 55 cm.
- The self-tapping screws are leveled horizontally using the level.
- The logs are leveled on the hats of self-tapping beacons.
- Quadrangles from plywood are fixed approximately in the middle of a bar.
Important! The distance between the lags is filled with mineral wool / foam or other heat-retaining material before laying the plywood.
Application of concrete screed
Alignment of the wooden floor with concrete mortar is complicated by an impressive mass of construction. The thickness of the concrete screed is from 9 to 11 cm.
Stages of implementation:
- Filling is performed on beacons installed at a distance of 55-60 cm.
- The wooden floor is covered with a polyethylene film in such a way that its ends come to the wall higher than the height of the screed.
- The boundaries of the film are pasted with adhesive tape, and it overlaps with overlap.
- The screed is carried out with the reinforcement of a masonry net laid 4-5 cm above the base.
- The floor is poured with two layers, the composition is carefully compacted and leveled.
Looking for the answer to the question how to level the wooden floor without tearing the boards, pay attention to such moments as:
- Technical capabilities.
- Value for money and value.
- Labor cost.
Answering these questions, you can easily understand how to level the wooden floor without tearing the boards, in a private house or apartment, and what technology is right for you.