Spiritual developmentReligion

Trinity Cathedral, Pskov - a symbol of faith and a defender of the Russian land

Some historical data show that the first settlers at the confluence of the two rivers Pskov and Velikaya were the tribes of the western Finns. Also the first settlements here were organized by the Slavic tribes of Krivichi. By the tenth century Pskov had already become a city with a large population of different nationalities. Residents mainly engaged in trade and craft.

The city center, its base - the Kremlin (Crom) is located on the edge of the cape, the edge. Now on the territory of the Kremlin are two historical parts of the city, relating to different times. Detinets with a bell tower, a veche area and the Trinity Cathedral and the city of Dovmont.

The idea of a single God in the person of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is symbolized by the Trinity Cathedral. Pskov with the cathedral and the Kremlin is one of the oldest architectural monuments of Russia. His greatness and scale amaze, even in our days rarely erect such grandiose buildings.

History of the Trinity Cathedral

The Trinity Cathedral in Pskov is the main shrine of the entire Pskov land. The cathedral that we see now is the fourth one erected on this site. The first was built of wood, presumably in 857 AD in the time of Princess Olga. The cathedral was standing until 1137.

In 1138, Prince Vsevolod-Gabriel erected in his place a stone, in which, after the death of the prince, his relics were kept. But, unfortunately, the cathedral stood not so long, its arch collapsed in 1363.

The third cathedral was laid in 1365 with the posadniks of Paul and Ananias, consecrated in 1367. Regarding the architecture of the first church there is no information, and the second and third can be judged by some icons. The icon of St. Vsevolod-Gabriel holding the temple in his left hand is in the Trinity Cathedral next to the relics of the prince. Exactly the same icon is in the Kozmodemyanskaya church: the temple is depicted as one-domed, two rows of zakomars are seen, the octagon is located on the second, it shows a tribune with windows and ornaments in the form of arches on the eaves, there is a chapter and 8 final cross on the tribune. On the Sretensky icon, the temple is already five-domed, two rows are zakomar, due to the fact that the temple stands on a podklet, it has an elongated shape.

Fire

During a violent fire in the Pskov Kremlin in 1609, a powder depot exploded, which caused all the buildings on both quays to collapse. In the cathedral itself everything burned out, except for the relics of the holy princes Vsevolod and Dovmont. After repairs, the church stood still until 1682, that year the Metropolitan of Pskov Markell started the construction of a new church. But we did not have time to finish it, as the upper part of the temple collapsed.

The construction of the cathedral was continued by Metropolitan Hilarion in 1691, in 1699 the church was consecrated. This cathedral is the one that we see. Several times the temple burned, but was restored inside and outside. Later, in 1770, buttresses were attached to it.

Trinity Cathedral, Pskov

The cathedral was built in a peculiar Russian-Byzantine style. It consists of two tiers, has a cubic slightly elongated shape, a four-pitched roof, five domes. The eastern part has three aspids in the form of a semicircle, from the north and south side there are extensions. The porch is located on the west side, it is equipped with a covered staircase. On the lower floor of the temple used to be the tomb of Princes of Pskov, later the church of St. Olga was built there. And in 1903 the church of Seraphim of Sarov was erected there.

In 1917, after the revolution, the cathedral was given to the schismatics. In the 1930s, the Trinity Cathedral was closed and handed over to the museum of atheism. Numerous shrines of the Trinity Cathedral were transferred to the Pskov Museum-Reserve, many of them are still there.

Revival of the Cathedral

The Pskov Orthodox mission helped revive the cathedral in August 1941. First, the main temple of the city was put in order, everywhere there were traces of blasphemy of employees of the anti-religious museum. All the remains were thrown out of the tomb, everything had to be searched, brought to the proper view and returned to the site. The city museum handed over to the cathedral church utensils, sacred objects, icons, among them the icon of prince Vsevolod. The bells returned to the bell tower. The cathedral of the Pskov diocese found its former glory. They brought a miraculous icon of the Tikhvin Mother of God to the cathedral.

Resurrection

So, in 1941 the Trinity Cathedral again began to operate. Pskov with its Kremlin is a unique monument of Russia. Its architecture has not yet been influenced by Western trends.

Three miraculous icons are kept in the Trinity Cathedral. Of these, it is worth mentioning the icon of the holy princess Olga, written by the archimandrite of the Pskov-Pechora monastery Alipy. Other icons of the Trinity Cathedral are also unique.

Pskov with its residents and church attendants to the millennium of the baptism of Russia renewed the chapel of St. Seraphim of Sarov. It was equipped with an iconostasis, an altar and a throne. The floors were repainted and the church utensils restored.

Iconostasis

To the right of the Tsar's Gate there is an icon "The Savior Not Made by Hands", on the left is the icon "Word of the Flesh". The composition of the Deesis included icons of princes of Pskov Dovmont-Timothy and Vsevolod-Gabriel. The iconostasis is completed with the icon of Our Lady "The Sign". At the gate itself on the right side of the icon of Seraphim of Sarov, on the left side - Nikandra of Pskov. Both saints spent many years in prayer and silence, for which they were awarded by the grace of God and the Holy Spirit, and praised the Lord with miraculous works.

The icons were painted by Archimandrite Zinon. They are like a prayer, ringing like the thinnest string, ascending to God. According to his design, the iconostasis of the Trinity Cathedral was drawn up. Pskov included the Trinity Cathedral as a monument of republican significance, under the protection of the state.

During the Great Patriotic War, the Germans equipped a firing point in the Kremlin. During the fighting Troitsky Cathedral suffered.

Pskov guarded the borders of Russia for many centuries, did not allow the Lithuanian, Livonian troops to invade our land. The Trinity Cathedral became a symbol of faith helping in the fight against the invaders of the Russian land.

Similar articles

 

 

 

 

Trending Now

 

 

 

 

Newest

Copyright © 2018 en.atomiyme.com. Theme powered by WordPress.